We know that choosing a good diet for your pet could be a bit complicated.
Knowing the frequency, what type and how much food your dog needs is essential to be able to provide all the essential nutrients for a healthy and healthy life.
Although there is no definitive and perfect answer to choose a diet, in this article we will help you to know the different types of food that there are. And that it can be of support to make an appropriate decision, and that you can decide the one that is most suitable for your pet.
How should dog food be?
As with humans, it is not only essential and essential to find a 100% balanced, complete diet that provides all the necessary nutrients , but also has a great taste that your dog likes. We must also take into account other factors, such as the age, size of the dog, level of physical activity and if it has special needs, all of this influences the decision of what food to give it.
Finally, it is very important to adapt the food to your stage of life, that is; have a diet for when they are puppies and make the transition of their diet for when they enter the adult stage.
- Feeding for puppies. In general, in the first weeks of life, the feeding of puppies is based mainly on the intake of mother's milk (or milk substitutes in its absence) until approximately eight months of age.
- Food for adult dogs. The proper diet for adult dogs is one that maintains a balance between macronutrients: proteins, fats, and carbohydrates, and micronutrients: vitamins and minerals.
- Protein is the main source of energy for puppies and, therefore, in general it should be at least 70% protein, mainly from meat .
- Fats are obtained from fish, especially those from Omega 3 fatty acids .
- Carbohydrates can be included in cereals, legumes and tubers, but they have a less essential weight in the diet of dogs .
- Vitamins and minerals are found in vegetables. For this reason, it is important that they eat vegetables and fruits, such as zucchini, carrots, apples or pears, and these can be mixed with meat or the main protein food.
Types of dog food
Once you've identified your dog's needs and lifestyle, you're ready to learn about the different types of food you can provide for your pup.
- Dry food. Dry food is the most practical and popular option, as it is easy to store and can be relatively "cheaper". Of course, it is important to choose a food that is made up mostly of natural ingredients and that is of very good quality.
- Wet food Wet food can be alternated with dry food, we can find it packaged in cans, bags, and these are the favorite foods of many dogs, thanks to their smell and meaty texture.
- Freeze-dried foods. Freeze-dried and dehydrated foods are currently another very popular option, these types of foods are minimally processed and are high in protein. The main difference is that dried foods need to be mixed with warm water, while freeze-dried foods can be given as is.
- BARF diet. The BARF diet or natural dog food is a high-quality diet that contains a protein or raw meat base, and often includes a raw carbohydrate. This diet has generated a great debate in people, since although it may seem healthy, it also carries certain risks. And it is that eating raw food increases exposure to bacteria such as salmonella, campylobacter or clostridium perfringens.
- Homemade foods. Dogs for some time have been feeding on the leftover food left in our homes. However, each pet has its own needs and what might be good for one person is not so good for your puppy. Since in most of our dishes we use garlic and onion, two foods that just cannot be eaten. Therefore, feeding them with the daily homemade food is not recommended. What we do is that we can cook specific food and meals for them, taking into account what they can and cannot eat.
- Grain-free dog food. Grain-free food is formulated without ingredients like rice, corn, or wheat and has been receiving a lot of attention in recent years. Dogs that are primarily candidates for a grain-free diet are those that have or suffer from allergies. Since carbohydrates are part of a healthy diet, make sure the cereal has been replaced with a healthy substitute, such as pumpkin, broccoli, or carrots.
How to choose the best food for my dog?
It is important to remember that all dogs are individuals and your pet's needs may vary, therefore we recommend that you only offer food formulated for dogs. The best option is to combine dry food with wet food so that the dog can get used to different textures as well as being very tasty and with an appetizing smell that reduces food rejection.
If you want to make sure that your dog is fed correctly and safely, it is always better to consult and require a specific diet with the veterinarian.
What foods can or can't my dog eat?
So far we have seen that dogs can have a varied diet in which they eat practically everything, but we must take into account some exceptions, and that is that there are some foods that our pets should not eat, since they can cause problems in their body . We are going to share some of the foods that can be consumed and which ones are not.
- Recommended foods. Some of the best foods for them and that they can consume are rice, meat and fish. As for fruits, the banana, melon, pear and apple. And vegetables spinach, carrot and lettuce.
- Foods we should avoid. These are some of the ones that should be left out of their diet because they are toxic to them, such as grapes, walnuts, onions, garlic, beer, pomegranates, chocolate, and peanuts. It is also not recommended to give them almonds, celery, cherries, popcorn, among others.
Are there prizes with healthy foods?
In conclusion, in addition to feeding, keeping a dog healthy also involves exercising it to maintain an ideal body condition. Adequate feeding of a dog is essential for its growth and development, you must take into account several factors so that it is also liked by your pet.
Remember that not meeting your pet's nutritional requirements can lead to different conditions such as constipation. The most important thing is to find a balance between what your dog needs and what he likes, in order to find the ideal food.
Now you are ready to know what food to give your pet!