Do you know what Mini Toy breeds are and the care they need? Stay reading this blog and together with Waggys learn what they are, the furry breeds that fall into the category, characteristics, character, care and much more. Let us begin.
What are toy dogs or mini dogs?
Toy or mini dogs are small breed dogs that have been selectively bred to be smaller in size compared to their larger counterparts. These breeds are characterized by their diminutive size, making them popular with people looking for smaller pet companions suitable for living in smaller spaces, such as apartments. These dogs may have different care needs compared to larger breeds. They require special attention, proper feeding, exercise and veterinary care to maintain their health and well-being.
How big do miniature dogs grow?
The growth of miniature dogs varies depending on the specific breed. In general, these dogs reach maturity at an earlier age than larger breeds. Typically, most miniature dogs reach their adult size between 9 and 12 months of age, although this can vary by breed.
- The Toy Pomeranian is especially small, generally weighing around 1.8 to 2.5 kg and measuring between 18 to 22 cm tall at the withers.
- They have a dense, fluffy coat, with a double coat of hair that can come in a variety of colors.
- It has small, erect ears, a short snout, lively eyes and a bushy tail that it carries on its back.
- They are energetic and lively dogs, despite their small size. They enjoy activities and games.
- They are intelligent dogs and can be trained with patience and consistency.
- Despite their size, they are brave and often act as guardians alerting their owners of any intrusion.
- They require regular brushing due to their thick coat. In addition, they shed their fur seasonally, so they need special care during those times.
- Despite their small size, they need regular exercise to stay healthy and avoid behavioral problems.
- Early socialization and training are essential, they can develop dominant behaviors if not managed properly.
- Monitoring dental health, regular checkups at the vet and proper nutrition are essential for their well-being.
- Miniature Poodles are smaller than Standard Poodles but maintain the same distinctive characteristics of the breed. They can weigh between 4 to 6 kg and measure around 28 to 35 cm tall at the withers.
- They have a dense, curly or woolly coat, which does not usually change. Comes in a variety of colors.
- Dark, expressive eyes, long ears, and feathered tails are often trimmed in the breed-specific haircut practice.
- Miniature Poodles are extremely intelligent and easily trainable.
- They are generally friendly, affectionate dogs and loyal to their families.
- They are dogs with a lot of energy and like play and interaction, although they can be calm at home if they have had enough exercise.
- They require regular grooming, including frequent brushing and periodic haircuts, as well as specific care to keep their coat healthy.
- Despite their size, they need daily exercise to stay physically and mentally healthy.
- They react well to training and early socialization. They are intelligent dogs and will learn quickly if taught with patience and consistency.
- They require regular veterinary checkups, dental care, and a balanced diet to maintain their well-being.
- Yorkshire Terriers are small dogs, generally weighing between 2 to 3 kg and measuring around 18 to 23 cm at the withers.
- They have a long, silky, straight coat that requires regular grooming. Its fur color is steel blue on the upper part of the body and fire gold on the chest and face.
- They have a small, flat head, expressive eyes and V-shaped ears.
- Despite their size, Yorkshire Terriers are brave, energetic and often act as if they are much larger.
- They can be affectionate and enjoy human company, being loyal to their owners.
- They are intelligent dogs and learn quickly, although they can sometimes be stubborn.
- They require regular coat care, including daily brushing and periodic haircuts to keep their coat in good condition.
- Despite their small size, they need daily exercise to stay healthy and happy.
- They react well to training, but can show stubbornness, so patience and consistency are key.
- Due to their small frame, they can be prone to dental problems, patella dislocations, and trachea problems.
Miniature Pinschers are small but robust dogs, they weigh around 4 to 6 kg and measure between 25 to 30 cm at the withers.
- They have short, smooth, shiny fur that is usually black with tan (reddish-brown) markings on their paws, muzzle, and eyebrows.
- Ears erect and in the shape of a "V", tail that is usually docked and lively eyes.
- They are very energetic, alert and brave dogs, they are often affectionate with their families but can be reserved with strangers.
- They are intelligent dogs and learn quickly, although they can have a tendency to be stubborn.
- They have a strong guard instinct and can bark to alert them to the presence of strangers.
- They require daily exercise to stay physically and mentally stimulated. They love to run and play.
- Early socialization and training are key to controlling their tendency to be distrustful of strangers.
- Coat care is relatively easy due to their short coat. Regular brushing will be enough to keep it in good condition.
- Like other breeds, they can be prone to specific health problems, so regular veterinary checkups are essential.
On many occasions, visiting the vet can be super chaotic for dogs, the Stress and anxiety in dogs is very present recently and it is normal for your puppy to be affected in these situations. Therefore, I recommend that you give Waggy's prizes with CBD for dogs , an ingredient that will reduce these stress levels, are also made with Omega 3 for dogs , a necessary and essential component for the development of the puppy.
Maltese Bichons are small and light dogs, weighing between 3 to 4 kg and measuring around 20 to 25 cm at the withers.
- They have long, silky and smooth fur, which is white.
- They have dark, round eyes, pendulous ears, and a tail covered with abundant hair.
- They are affectionate, playful dogs and enjoy human company.
- They are highly intelligent and can be trained relatively easily.
- They adapt well to different environments, whether in a large home or a small apartment.
- They require regular and constant grooming due to their long and silky fur. They need to be brushed daily to avoid tangles and keep their coat in good condition.
- Despite their size, they need moderate daily exercise. They love to play and walk.
- They respond well to training with positive reinforcement and patience. Early socialization is important.
- Some Maltese may be prone to health problems such as dental disease, skin problems and luxating patella.
- Shih Tzus are small dogs, generally weighing between 4 to 7.2 kg and measuring around 20 to 28 cm at the withers.
- They have a luxurious, long and dense coat that can be of various colors. They usually require regular haircuts to keep their coat in optimal condition.
- They have a rounded head, short snout, tail covered with abundant hair and a friendly expression in their eyes.
- They are loving, sweet dogs and tend to be affectionate with their families.
- Although they can be playful, they are usually calm and adapt well to life indoors.
- They generally get along well with other dogs and children, although attention should be paid to interacting with small children due to their size.
- The Shih Tzu's coat requires constant care. Daily brushing is recommended to avoid tangles and keep the coat in good condition. Regular haircuts are essential.
- They need moderate daily exercise. They enjoy quiet walks and indoor games.
- They are intelligent but can be stubborn. Patience and consistency in training are key to obtaining good results.
- They may be prone to eye and respiratory problems. Regular veterinary checkups are important to monitor their health.
Pugs are compact and robust dogs, generally weighing between 6 to 8 kg and measuring around 25 to 28 cm at the withers.
- They have short, soft and dense fur, which can be beige, silver or black.
- Muscular body, curled tail and distinctive wrinkles on the face.
- They are loving, affectionate dogs and get along well with people, children and other pets.
- They are usually playful, they like to play and entertain their owners with their antics.
- Although they can be energetic, they also enjoy long periods of napping and are suitable for living indoors.
- They require regular coat care with weekly brushing to keep it clean and healthy. Your facial wrinkles also need cleaning to avoid infection.
- Despite their calm nature, they need regular moderate exercise to stay in shape. However, excessively strenuous activities should be avoided due to their brachycephalic structure.
- Due to their flattened face, they may be susceptible to respiratory problems. It is essential to be careful with extreme temperatures and provide them with regular veterinary care to maintain their health.
- Poodles come in three size varieties: Standard, Miniature, and Toy. The standard size weighs around 20 to 32 kg, while Miniature Poodles weigh around 5 to 8 kg and Toy Poodles weigh between 2 to 4 kg.
- They have a dense, curly coat that does not shed easily. They come in various colors.
- They have an elegant, proportional head, long hanging ears, and an athletic body.
- They are highly intelligent and easy to train. They perform well in various dog activities and sports.
- They are very active dogs and enjoy regular exercise and mental stimulation.
- They are usually affectionate with their families and get along well with other animals if they are socialized from an early age.
- Caring for the Poodle's coat is crucial. They require regular brushing and periodic trimming to keep their coat healthy and tangle-free.
- Poodles are energetic and need daily exercise, whether it be long walks, games, or activities that stimulate them mentally.
- Their intelligence makes training easier, but also requires mental stimulation to avoid boredom.
- Like other breeds, they can be prone to specific health problems, so regular veterinary checkups are essential.
American Toy Terrier
American Toy Terriers are small and compact dogs, generally weighing around 1.5 to 3.5 kg and measuring between 20 to 28 cm at the withers.
- They have a short, soft coat that is easy to care for. Typically, their coat is tricolor: white with black and brown spots.
- Erect ears, alert eyes and a long tail that can be shortened to a shorter length.
- They are active and energetic dogs, they enjoy games and exercise.
- They tend to be loyal and affectionate with their families.
- They are intelligent dogs, which makes their training easier.
- They require basic coat care, including regular brushing to keep it clean and healthy.
- They need daily exercise to stay happy and healthy. They love to play and do interactive activities.
- Their intelligence makes training easy, but as with any dog, it requires consistency and patience.
- They are generally healthy dogs, but it is important to carry out regular veterinary checkups and keep vaccinations up to date.
Other Toy Dog Breeds
- Prague mouse
- miniature english bull terrier
- Italian Greyhound
- Chinese crested.
- Yorkie poo.
- Miniature Pinscher.
- Teddy Roosevelt Terrier.
The good thing about this type of breed is that they are hypoallergenic dogs.
In conclusion, mini dog breeds are ideal for people looking for a small, affectionate pet adaptable to different lifestyles, but it is crucial to investigate the specific needs of each breed to provide them with adequate care and ensure a happy and healthy coexistence. If you are considering having one, always take the time to think of a unique and distinctive name, if you don't know what to call it, read the article: 100 names for dogs
To conclude the post, I recommend taking a look at the types of husky that exist.