Do you have a dog at home and would like to have a cat, or vice versa? Don't worry, your dog and cat can socialize despite being very different. A peaceful relationship between pets in the house is important, as it will allow you to enjoy your animals without worry.
Dogs and cats together: how do I introduce them?
The first impression is always important, and your role will be to prepare the way. In the case of dogs and cats together, the ideal is for them to meet as puppies. But, if they meet when they are no longer puppies, don't worry, all is not lost. If they have already been socialized with other dogs and cats, and have had good experiences, it will be much easier for them to adapt.
Steps to Socialize a Dog with a Cat
- Keep them in separate rooms, show them each a rag with the other's scent on it. Generally, the dog will show interest; on the other hand, the cat is more distrustful and will not show much interest.
- When you see that both are calm and familiar with each other's scent, it's time to let them see each other, even if it's from afar for now.
- When you see them relaxed, it's time to prepare the official meeting and prepare a space in which both feel comfortable. And before letting them interact.
- take your dog for a walk and play with him. Releasing energy will make him more relaxed and receptive to meeting your cat.
- Trim your cat's nails to prevent them from hurting themselves.
- Keep your dog on a leash to better control it. You'll probably just want to get closer to smell the cat; but some dogs get a little anxious and the cat can get scared. The important thing, too, is that you you are don't worry.
- Don't force them to get close or sniff each other. The success of cats and dogs together but not scrambled is that you have patience. Give them time and space, they may not become friends, but they will learn to respect each other and live in harmony.
Fosters a positive relationship between dogs and cats together
Spend time with both of you. Offer treats and petting to both one and the other when they are around you. In this way, the other will see that getting closer is positive and beneficial, and you will achieve respect. We recommend these relaxing treats for dogs :
You need to pay attention to both of them and respect their space and their way of being.
As you can see, patience is key to achieving a good coexistence between dogs and cats together, and it is possible. However, if you think you've put in enough effort and they don't get along, consult an ethologist. This specialist in canine and feline behavior will help you improve your relationship.